Collapsed Gold Mine in Peruvian Andes
1) ARTI member Doug Copp slept with the scorpions, in the dirt. The tents were
for our equipment and medical treatment facility. We didn't carry tents up the
mountain for us. We slept outside.
2) We eventually formed our own little community on the mountain and jokingly
elected one of the TV cameramen as our 'mayor'.
3) A look inside our tent. We held a private meeting, in the midst of this mess
with the Prime Minister of the Country, the General in Charge of Civil Defense
and four other key players. This was our improvised command center.
4) 'Zona Peligrosa'( Danger Zone). We prepared for the inspection of the
5) A mine penetration system invented by Doug Copp. When installed it prevents
us from being buried alive when the next aftershock occurs.
6) Inside the collapsed mine. The plaid shirted guy is the Prime Minister. This
place actually collapsed on top of us twice. One time rocks were hitting Copp's
back as he fled the tunnel, barely escaping death.
7) ARTI using a device which makes rock acoustically transparent. We can hear a
victim 600-ft. away through solid rock.
8) President Fujimori checks out our equipment.
9) The President's helicopter creates a duststorm, in the driest region on
10) The General. He was a great guy and gave us everything and anything we
wanted. The Prime Minister is exhausted.
11) The farewell party in HELL. It was so dry Copp got calluses on his eyes. If
you think that we were drinking straight Coca-Cola would you like to buy a